Karen Schuld Photography: NYC Food Photographer

Sprouts in the Hood

Sprouts in the Hood
Exploring My Hood Through Food and Lifestyle Photography

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Love at First Sprout: Growing Mung Beans

Mung Beans
It all started on my first trip to India ...... Crunchy, tasty, healthy little sprouts that were added to many dishes I had at the dining table of my host family.

 A new culinary experience - I got curious to see how these little sprouts appeared magically overnight from the kitchen to the table.

Sprouts are a great way to bring fresh greens to your table in the middle of winter, plus they are easy to grow in your kitchen all year round

Mung beans, a staple food in India, can be easily found at any Asian, Middle Eastern, or Indian market or by mail order at sproutpeople.org.  They are great in stir-fries or added to salad, eggs, grains or any entree.


Growing Sprouts:

1. Soak overnight. (I use a mason jar with a mesh cover for easy drainage).
Mung Beans Soaking
 2.  Rinse, then drain.

Draining off Water

 3. Let sit on a dark corner of your kitchen.

Mung Beans Growing

4. Rinse and drain twice per day for 2 or 3 days.
5. Refrigerate.  They will keep for about 1 week.
 




 

2 comments:

  1. k. it has been thirty years since i last grew sprouts....thank you for bringing this amazing little miracle back to my attention. g

    ReplyDelete