Karen Schuld Photography: NYC Food Photographer

Sprouts in the Hood

Sprouts in the Hood
Exploring My Hood Through Food and Lifestyle Photography

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Pad Thai with Spring Veggies

Pad Thai with Spring Veggies
Pad thai can be a quick and easy recipe you can rely on for last minute entertaining. My pad thai recipe is one of my favorites – I learned it some years ago when I lived in Chinatown, NYC.  

I love using local veggies to make my pad thai taste fresh and flavorful.  Today, I am adding some asparagus. scallions, and ramps to my recipe.  


This entree works great with a papaya or mango salad.

Ingredients:  

1 package cups rice noodles
4 cups of your favorite vegetables, chopped
1 package of tofu, sliced and seared
4 garlic cloves. diced
1/4 cup scallions
1/8 cup tamarind paste
1/4 cup hot water

2 tablespoons honey
4 eggs
1 tablespoon hot pepper flakes
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 cup combination of herbs, such as cilantro, mint, and basil, finely chopped
1/2 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 limes, sliced

Directions:

1.  Soak the rice noodles for an hour or two in warm water, then strain.  Set aside.
2.  Coat and heat a large skillet  or wok with sesame oil.
3.  Add chopped vegetable, garlic, hot pepper flakes and scallions, then toss while cooking for approximately 2-3 minutes on high heat.
4.  Scramble eggs with other ingredients in wok, while tossing.
5.  Dissolve tamarind paste and honey in water, then slowly add to wok mixture while tossing.
6.  Add the softened noodles to mixture, then keep tossing until ingredients are mixed and noodles have soft consistency. 
7.  Serve on platter, top with seared tofu, then garnish with freshly picked herbs, limes and peanuts.
Serves 6 people

2 comments: