Karen Schuld Photography: NYC Food Photographer

Sprouts in the Hood

Sprouts in the Hood
Exploring My Hood Through Food and Lifestyle Photography

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Indian Spices with Earthy Flavors

1.  Turmeric, Ground Red Chili Pepper, and Black Cumin 2.  Red Chili Pepper


Turmeric, cumin and chili pepper are earthy and musty both in flavor and smell. These ingredients are found in most Indian dishes as they are also the base in Indian curry recipes.  I regularly visit NYC Indian markets, Kalustyans in Manhattan and Patel Brothers in Jackson Heights, Queens.  There, I find treasure troves of specialty  spices, grains and legumes.


I photographed this spice container filled with salt, cumin, turmeric, and red pepper in Rajasthan, India.  I love this original design using recycled tin coffee cans.

No comments:

Post a Comment