Karen Schuld Photography: NYC Food Photographer

Sprouts in the Hood

Sprouts in the Hood
Exploring My Hood Through Food and Lifestyle Photography

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Burdock Root from the Farmers Market at Union Square

My friend Keiko, from Tokyo, introduced me to burdock root, a slender brown root vegetable that is common in Japanese cuisine.  This week, i was happy to find this vegetable at the farmer's market at Union Square.  The root has a nutty sweet flavor with a crunch texture that tastes perfect with a bowl of rice and a glass of hot Saki.

Burdock Root

Burdock Root Recipe on Rice

Here is one of Keiko's delicious recipes:

Ingredients:

4 Pieces burdock root, thinly sliced
2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
1 1/2 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 Chunk tofu, sliced
2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
1 Tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 Tablespoon sesame oil

Directions:

1.  Heat sesame oil in skillet.
2.  Add the burdock slices, tofu and sesame seeds, then toss in pan until browned.
3.  Add rice vinegar, soy sauce, red pepper flakes.
4.  Serve on a bed of rice or just plain.

Serves 2

6 comments:

  1. This really sounds good, Karen. I've been meaning to try burdock root for ages, but I was never sure what to do with it and I hate seeing vegetables wilt for lack of inspiration in my fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes, I mix it around in a hot skillet with some with this Malaysian prawn sambal I buy in Chinatown. The root goes well with Asian spices and flavors. You can add some greens to the mixture too. It is very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, it's my pleasure to inform you that you've just received a Stylish Blogger Award! From me! check here: http://www.thegoodsoup.com/issues/not-an-issue-just-life/i-won-a-stylish-blogger-award-part-2/ for details. Hope you enjoy this as much as I did! Cheers, Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Angela, I feel very honored.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos! I've never had burdock root, but almost bought it at Whole Foods the other day. Thanks to you, I'm going to try it, using your recipe.
    Also, I love your recipe posted on Meatless Monday. You and I both have recipes posted this week. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is very informative and gracefully
    your guideline is very good.Thank you.
    Best Restaurants in Noida

    ReplyDelete